By assembling this the night before, this healthy breakfast casserole is chock full of apples, cranberries, and walnuts. This is a wonderful fall breakfast or great for a holiday brunch.
- 1 pound whole-grain bread, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups diced apples, peeled if desired (the peel adds fiber and not peeling saves time!)
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen.
- 8 large eggs or 4 eggs & 1 cup egg substitute (I use the combo)
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 TBS packed brown sugar
- 1 TBS ground cinnamon
- 2 TSP vanilla extract
- 1/4 TSP salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Coat a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray
- toss bread, apples, and cranberries in the prepared pan. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add milk, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt; whisk to combine. Pour the custard over the bread mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Coat a piece of foil with cooking spray and cover the pan, coated side down. Place another 9×13 inch dish on top as a weight. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat the over to 350º. Remove the top baking dish, leaving the foil in place. Let stand at room temperature while the oven heats.
- Bake the casserole, covered for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, 20-25 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
You can refrigerate unbaked casserole for up to 1 day.