Recently, I served this to guests. Yes, I'm bad at using my friends as guinea pigs. The result? They loved it. Even the skeptics loved it because it's less greasy and less heavy. Top zucchini noodles or whole wheat pasta. You won't be sorry..
- 1 1/4 cups raw cashews (soaked)
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch (optional)
- 3-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cloves garlic* (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- 1-2 cups unsweetened plain almond or rice milk (plus more as needed)
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 20 minutes. Then drain and add to a high-speed blender.
- To a blender, also add arrowroot starch (for thickening), nutritional yeast, garlic, sea salt, vegan parmesan cheese, and a lesser amount of unsweetened dairy-free milk (1 cup (240 ml) as the original recipe is written).
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more garlic for kick/zing, nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese for cheesy flavor, salt for saltiness, or dairy-free milk if too thick.
- Transfer to a rimmed skillet and cook over medium-low to medium heat for 5 minutes, whisking frequently. The sauce should thicken and bubble. Add more dairy-free milk as needed to thin (I typically add up to 1/2 – 1 cup (120-240ml) more // amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size). Then it’s ready to serve!
- Enjoy with zucchini noodles or your favorite pasta. It could even be enjoyed layered in lasagna! Top with additional Vegan Parmesan Cheese and Roasted Tomatoes for more flavor.
Toss in some Zoodles for a terrific, plant-based meal.