A lot of healthy and quick meals fail to deliver either on nutrition or taste, but not this one. Lean chicken, fiber packed beans and tons of veggies do the trick deliciously. When shredding the lemon peel, remove the super thin yellow part. The white pithy part is bitter!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 medium carrots, cut lengthwise into strips
- 1 large zucchini cut into slices
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium red onion halved and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 1 15-ounce can Great Northern Beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- Fill a 3-quart saucepan about 2/3 full with water; add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add broccoli and carrots. Boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain vegetables and place in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When cool, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. You may want to add some garlic &/or Italian seasoning at this point. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, add beans, broth, lemon peel, vegetables and cooked chicken. Cook and stir 1 minute or until heated through.