I LOVE chicken pot pie but the pie crust adds so much unnecessary fat and calories. When I found this recipe from Skinnytaste I was in heaven! This is a great recipe on those cold, wet days that are upon us.
- 1/4 cup flour, to make gluten-free use 2 tbsp cornstarch instead
- 2 cups of water
- 4 cups of fat free milk
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 8 oz sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 chicken bouillons
- fresh ground pepper
- pinch of thyme
- 10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables, peas, carrots, green beans, corn
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
- 16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small
- Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of the cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Pour remaining water and milk into a large pot and slowly bring to a boil.
- Add celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken bullion, thyme, fresh pepper, frozen vegetables, and return to a boil.
- Partially cover and simmer on low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid, add potatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, and slowly whisk in the slurry, stirring well as you add.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes, until soup thickens, adjust salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
You can make this with leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. Pair with the Persimmon & Kale salad.