A spoonful of this tomatoey cheeseburger soup delivers the experience of a perfect burger bite–savory beef and onions, sweet and tangy condiments, and, of course, Cheddar and American cheese! This kid-friendly and easy soup is sure to appeal to everyone in your household.
- 1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups low-fat milk
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar & American cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Chopped tomatoes, onion and/or dill pickles for garnish
- Step 1Cook beef in a large pot over medium-high heat, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add celery and onion; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth, water and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste, ketchup and mustard.
- Step 3Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in cheese, a handful at a time. Cook just until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Serve topped with tomatoes, onion and/or pickles, if desired.