This meal is quick to cook but it does require marinating! My typical routine is to add the marinade when I package the meat after purchase. As it thaws it marinates. But, that doesn’t always happen because it requires a lot of planning. There are only 2 of us now so we don’t plan that well for meals.
1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1 TBS olive oil
2 TBS red wine vinegar
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 TSP ground cumin
1/4 TSP salt
1/4 TSP crushed red pepper
2 red &/or green bell peppers, halved
1 red onion, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- Score both sides of the steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow, diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Place steak in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade in a small bowl, stir together orange juice, cilantro, vinegar, oil, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, and crushed red pepper. Pour over the steak in the bag, seal, turn to coat and marinate in the refrigerator for 46 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain steak, RESERVE MARINADE. Brush bell pepper halves, and onion slices with reserved marinade, discard any remaining marinade.
- Set veggies aside. For a charcoal grill, place steak on the rack of an uncovered grill, directly over medium coals. Grill for 8 minutes. Turn steak. Place vegetables cut side down on the grill with the steak. Grill both for 9-13 minutes or until steak is medium doneness (160º) and vegetables are crisp-tender, turning vegetables occasionally to brown evenly.
- For a gas grill, preheat then reduce heat to medium,. Place steak and later vegetables on a grill rack over the heat. Cover and grill as above.
- To serve, thinly slice steak across the grain, and cut the peppers into strips. Serve with grilled onions and your favorite side dish.