For my regular listeners, it’s no secret that I’m a huge lover of sweets. My go-to is chocolate but occasionally I’ll eat something else. As a result, I’ve had to learn how to “clean up” baking by removing fat and sugar while maintaining taste.
This is a recipe that I created by trial and error. You won’t be sorry to whip it up today.
- 1/2 cup Silken tofu (trust me here)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I prefer the special dark) + 2 TBS for dusting
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (white whole wheat is excellent too)
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1 TSP cinnamon
- 1/4 TSP salt
- 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute (or half & half)
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk (I use Best of the Egg/Egg Beaters)
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini (1 large, 2-3 small)
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Flakey sea salt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & dust muffin tin or loaf pan. *You’re dusting with the chocolate.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon & salt
- In another bowl (or stand mixer) combine tofu, sugar, egg, egg yolk, and mix till smooth. You will have lumps of tofu, don’t worry about this.
- Add zucchini, blend, then add flour mixture in small batches (unless you like messes). If you’re using a stand mixer you can add in the chips. If not, stir them in by hand.
- Transfer batter to the loaf pan and cook for approx. 50 minutes. If using a muffin tin start with 15 minutes and check for doneness.
You can add nuts if you prefer. Also, cloves is an excellent spice added to this recipe.