Cooler fall temperatures make me crave comfort food meals like Chicken & Broccoli casserole. Some recipes have a ridiculous amount of high-fat ingredients. When you’re eating healthier, like me, all those high-fat ingredients can create an upset stomach.
- 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat pasta
- 3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock. Look for lower-sodium versions.
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cubed. (We use a pre-shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store).
- 1 lb broccoli cut into small florets.
- 1 cup milk (any milk should work as long as there is some fat)
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 375º F & spray a 9×13 baking dish with the cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large pot, add stock & bring it to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 5-6 minutes or al dente. Stir occasionally. DO NOT DRAIN!
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and cornstarch and add it to the pot with the pasta. Add the garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Cook for a few minutes until thickened, stirring once or twice.
Turn off the heat and add cooked chicken and broccoli. Stir, transfer to the prepared baking dish, and bake covered for 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with the cheese, turn off the oven and allow the cheese to melt.