One of my favorite websites for recipes is King Arthur Flour. I’m sharing their recipe for this moist, fruit-packed breakfast bread because it’s delicious and a good option for your loved one.
- 1 cup brewed hot tea. Irish or English breakfast is an excellent choice. Brew it strongly.
- 1 cup raisins *
- 1/2 cup currants, packed
- 1 cup pitted prunes, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 TBS coarse white sugar (I use regular)
* I have found a package of mixed fruit that works well with no chopping! Look at the shelves around the raisins and see what options are available
- Pour the hot tea over the dried fruits in a medium bowl, set aside to cool until lukewarm
- Preheat oven to 325. Lightly grease an 8×2 round cake pan or a loaf pan. I also make these into mini muffins to eat after a workout.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dried fruit and any remaining liquid. (I rarely have remaining liquid.) Stir till thoughoughly combined; the batter will be thick & stiff
- Add the egg, mixing till thoroughly combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top evenly with the coarse sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, till a tester, comes out clean with no clinging crumbs
- Remove it from the oven, and turn it out on a rack to cool.