Our super easy, no-fuss Mediterranean Sheet Pan Meatballs are the weeknight dinner you’ve been waiting for. They’re loaded with the rich, aromatic flavors you love from Mediterranean cuisine: The lamb is savory and salty, the za’atar adds complexity, and the banana peppers and feta add some zip and zing and bring all the flavors together. If you’re not a fan of ground lamb, feel free to try another ground meat, such as turkey. Serve with a simply dressed salad, couscous, or with some pitas and fresh veggies.
- 2 medium (6 1/2 oz. each) zucchini
- 2 (7-oz.) red bell peppers, cut into 1-in. strips (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons za’atar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 garlic cloves)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- ½ cup pickled banana pepper slices
- Step 1Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut zucchini into quarters lengthwise; cut quarters into 2-inch pieces (about 4 cups). Toss together zucchini, bell peppers, oil, za’atar, and 1 teaspoon of the salt on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread mixture in an even layer, and bake in preheated oven 10 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, stir together ground lamb, garlic, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Step 3Remove baking sheet from oven. Using a spoon, scoop lamb mixture (about 2 tablespoons), and drop about 1 1/2 inches apart on and evenly spaced around baking sheet. (The meatballs won’t be exactly round, but that’s okay.)
- Step 4Bake at 400°F until meatballs are cooked through and zucchini and bell pepper strips are tender, about 10 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil, and broil on middle rack until top of mixture is browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle crumbled feta and banana pepper slices over top before serving.