When I first ran across this recipe, my initial reaction was, EWW! However, easy oven-baked barbecue chicken pizza tacos are full of pizza flavors, stuffed inside a crispy taco shell, to give you the best of both worlds! As my Mom would have said, “don’t knock it till you try it!”
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound (500 g) boneless and skinless chicken thighs diced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- Salt to season
- 10 stand and stuff taco shells
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 of green bell pepper | capsicum deseeded and sliced thinly
- 1/4 of a red onion sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons sliced olives
- Italian pizza topper or seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking oil spray; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and sear until golden and crisp. Add the garlic; fry until fragrant (about 1 minute); then add the barbecue sauce and salt to season (about 1/2 teaspoon salt).
- Cook until the chicken is coated and glossy, and the sauce slightly thickens. Turn off heat.
- Arrange taco shells in the baking dish. Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of shredded cheese into each taco shell to keep them from going soggy. Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture into each shell on top of the cheese until all the chicken is used. Top with the green pepper slices, onion slices, mushrooms, and olives. Top shells with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with the seasoning.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted through. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or condiments of choice