- 1 12 ounce package of whole-wheat penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 12 ounce package fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup low-sodium, 99 percent fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Step 1Heat a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling. Add pasta and cook as per package directions, 12 minutes. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium- high heat. Add the sausage and cook 3 minutes, turning a few times, until browned. Scoop out sausage with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
- Step 3Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the garlic. Cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and salt and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, peas and browned sausage. Heat through.
- Step 4Place cooked pasta in a large bowl. Add sausage mixture and 1 tablespoon of Parmesan. Toss to combine. Top with remaining tablespoon Parmesan and serve warm.