A hearty, fall-flavored, vegetarian stew, perfect for cold nights. This one is quick to prepare.
- 1 pound pie pumpkin or winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Plain nonfat yogurt (optional)
- Step 1In a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, combine pumpkin, chickpeas, carrots, onion, lentils, tomato paste, ginger, lime juice, cumin, salt, turmeric, and pepper. Pour broth over all in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Top each serving with peanuts, cilantro, and if desired, yogurt. Makes 6 (1-1/3 cup) servings.