- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil
- 4 cups watercress or baby arugula
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoons ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons of water
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 12 ounce jar of roasted red peppers
- 1 pound Flank Steak (Skirt Steak)
- 1/4 pound of red cabbage
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 4 multigrain buns, toasted
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
Place the basil and 2 cups of the watercress in the bowl of a food processor. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the garlic, the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon of the sale, 1/8 teaspoon of the black pepper, and the water. Puree until smooth; set aside.
Place the mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of the roasted red peppers, and the remaining garlic in a bowl of the food processor. Puree until smooth; set aside.
Shred the cabbage and carrot in the food processor. Combine the vinegar and vegetable oil in a small bowl and toss with the cabbage. Season slaw with the salt and black pepper to taste; set aside.
Season the steak with a pinch each of the salt and black pepper. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining olive oil. When the oil is hot, add steak and sear for 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Move to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes; thinly slice across the grain. If you prefer, grill the meat instead of pan-frying.
Place remaining watercress on the bottoms of the toasted buns. Top each with the steak, a slice or roasted red pepper, and some radish slices. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of each sauce on each sandwich and cover with the top half of the roll; serve with the slaw.