Sloppy Joes are one of my favorite meals and when I found this healthy version, I was sold. This is a household favorite. You can use slider-sized buns to make them easier to handle for your loved one.
- 1 pound extra-lean (95%) ground beef
- ¾ cup Picante Sauce
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced (about ¼ cup, optional)
- 5 light hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, cook the beef, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it is browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the Picante sauce, barbecue sauce, and green onions (if using) into the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring often until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
- Divide the beef mixture evenly among the five buns.
This is such a simple recipe, it is easy to switch things up and change the flavors to create new options for these easy sloppy joes.
- Add some veggies to the mix. Consider mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers, or you can stir in some spinach at the end.
- Switch up the flavor profile by using some chipotle salsa, which adds a more smoky flavor and extra spice. You could also add in 1-2 chopped chipotle peppers for some extra heat.
- If you don’t like spice, use canned fire-roasted tomatoes instead of salsa.
- Try out different types of barbecue sauces to slightly switch up the flavor. Try one that is spicy, one that is smokier, or one that is sweeter.
- Make this with any type of ground meat you like. You can use ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, and for tons of extra flavor, try making it with some ground turkey sausage.