Another favorite website for healthier recipes is Hungry Girl. It’s worth checking out.
An excellent, healthy, easy-to-eat alternative to a breakfast sandwich.
- 2 frozen meatless or turkey sausage patties with around 80 calories or less. (Morning Star Farms or Jimmy Dean are good brands.) I use Jimmy Dean light turkey sausage crumbles. Saves time!
- 1/3 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/4 TSP garlic powder
- 1/4 TSP onion powder
- !/4 TSP each of salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 6 large square egg roll wrappers (usually found in the refrigerated Asian items)
- Optional dips: Salsa, ketchup, sweet-n-sour sauce maybe?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. (This recipe was created before the popularity of air fryers, I’d cook them in an air fryer for extra crispy rolls)
- Cook sausage in a large skillet (sprayed with nonstick spray). Transfer to cutting board.
- Add spray to the pan if necessary, and bring to medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper & onion. Cook and stir until slightly softened about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the egg substitute and seasonings. Cook and scramble until veggies are soft and eggs are fully cooked for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer egg scramble into a medium-large bowl.
- Chop or crumble sausage (unless you use the Jimmy Dean crumbles!). Fold the sausage and cream cheese into the egg scramble.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper flat on a dry surface. Evenly distribute about 1/6th of the egg scramble (about 1/3 cup) in a row a little below the center.
- Moisten all four edges by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the sides about 3/4 inch toward the middle to keep filling from falling out. Roll the wrapper around the mixture and continue to the top. Seal with a dab of water.
- Place on the baking sheet, spray rolls with baking spray (unless using an air fryer) and bake for 3-5 minutes.