Now that we're getting into warmer weather, we hope to have more adventures. I prefer to bring my own food, and these energy bars are simple to put together and are healthier than most of what you get from the grocery store.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup bran cereal
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped stemmed dried figs
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place the oats, cereal, flour, walnuts, figs, dry milk, cinnamon, and ginger in a food processor; coarsely chop.
- Add the honey and eggs; pulse until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan; spread evenly with your fingers. Bake until lightly browned around the edges, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then cut into 16 bars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or wrap individually and freeze for up to 3 months.