When the temperature starts to cool, I start craving comfort foods like Chicken and Rice casserole. You should all understand why it’s important to have the healthiest version possible without losing flavor. Skipping canned soup (usually lots of sodium) and using yogurt gives you a lighter yet wonderfully creamy casserole that is perfect for busy fall evenings.
- 1 LB boneless & skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 TBS oil (I use local olive oil)
- 2 TSP garlic powder
- 2 TSP oregano
- 1 TSP salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock (low sodium where possible)
- 8 cups of broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt (some fat is better)
- 1/4 cup of green onions, chopped
- 1 cup of any hard cheese, shredded (marbled/Colby or aged Cheddar would be great)
Preheat oven to 400º F. Preheat large dutch oven on medium0high heat & swirl oil to coat.
Add raw chicken, garlic powder, oregano, sale, pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally,
Add rice and stock, stir, and bring to a boil. Lay broccoli on top and do not stir! Cover and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven, add yogurt and green onion, stir. Sprinkle cheese on top.
Return to oven, bake until cheese has melted.