I drive my hubby crazy because I love to try all kinds of new foods or versions of what we eat regularly. We have an accordion file with hundreds of recipes. This one was added recently. I tend to try new things when he's out of the house at dinner time. He appreciates that.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup broken spaghetti, linguine or orzo
- 3/4 cup farro
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or oregano
- In a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring frequently, just until it turns golden brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in the farro and shallots and continue to cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer until the farro is very tender, about 35 minutes. Check the farro towards the end of cooking and add 1 to 2 tablespoons water if the pan dries out before the farro is tender.
- Top with the parsley and thyme, fluff with a fork and serve.