We topped this summer pizza with fresh corn, bell peppers, plum tomatoes, and hot Italian sausages. The sausage and tomatoes cook together to create a rich sauce, which is used as a base for summer corn, peppers, and even more tomatoes. Use fresh pizza dough and par-cook the crust before adding the toppings for the crispiest results
- 1 ½ pounds fresh prepared pizza dough
- 1 ½ pounds plum tomatoes, divided
- 10 ounces hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups), divided
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- ½ bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Step 1Preheat oven to 475°F. Let dough stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, chop half of tomatoes, and place in a small bowl. Slice remaining tomatoes, and place in a separate small bowl. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until well browned, about 7 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes release their juices and reduce slightly, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Step 3Stretch dough to fit a 17- x 12-inch lightly greased rimmed baking sheet, pushing edges of dough up onto the rim. Brush oil over dough, and bake in preheated oven until the dough is lightly browned around the edges, about 8 minutes.
- Step 4Remove from oven, and spread sausage-and-tomato mixture evenly over crust. Sprinkle with goat cheese and 3⁄4 cup of the mozzarella; top with sliced tomatoes, corn, and bell pepper. Sprinkle with remaining 3⁄4 cup mozzarella. Bake on middle oven rack until the cheese melts and crust is crispy, about 8 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil, and broil 6 inches from heat until the cheeseis lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil.